During this festive time of the year many of us want to celebrate to the fullest as we dress to impress, whether it’s going to Halloween parties or send the kids out trick or treating.
While dressing up may sound like fun there are some unforeseen risks to our costume choices. Special effect contacts lenses being one of the hottest trends to complete a look can also be the most dangerous when purchasing them from the wrong place.
What you need to know about purchasing contact lenses:
- According to the FDA all contact lenses including both special effect and prescription based lenses must be prescribed by a licensed eye care professional in order to be legally purchased.
- If you are buying contact lenses from a Halloween retailers or convenient store they are being sold to you illegally.
If you do plan on using special effect lenses make sure to pay close attention to these tips:
- Purchase your lenses from a licensed eye care professional that you requires you to have a prescription even if they are just for special effect.
- Never share contact lenses with others, as bacteria can easily spread from one user to another.
- This bacteria can lead to more serious issues such as permanent loss of vision.
- Ensure that your lenses fit the shape of your eye, as ill-fitting lenses can cause irritation and even ulcers.
- Most special effect contacts are designed only for daily use. Make sure to give your eyes a break and take them out before you go to bed.
- If you do start to experience irritation, swelling, or eye redness take the contacts out immediately and contact your doctor as this can be a warning sign for a more serious eye injury.
Whether you plan on going as a gruesome zombie or a playful cat for Halloween always make wise wardrobe choices. Remember to have fun but also keep an “eye” out for your person health.
For more information or to schedule an appointment at your local Nationwide Vision or call 1-800-EYE-CARE.