Every May, the National Eye Institute (NEI) sponsors a Healthy Vision Month to remind Americans their eye health is just as important as other aspects of our health, and encourages each if us to take steps to protect our vision.
By following a few steps, people can ensure their eyes, and vision, stay healthy for a lifetime. The NEI recommends taking the following steps:
- Get a comprehensive dilated eye exam once a year
- Use protective eye wear, like safety glasses or eye guards, when playing sports or when participating in activities where your eyes are at risk of injury.
- Wear sunglasses - ideally with UV protection
- Live a healthy lifestyle by eating healthy foods, maintaining a healthy weight, and not smoking.
- Know your family history so you can get ahead of potential hereditary conditions.
Join Nationwide Vision in celebrating Healthy Vision Month and be sure to spread the word to your family, friends, colleagues and teammates.